What is the Breastfeeding Support Project?
The Breastfeeding Support Project is a friendly, non-judgmental service supporting families practically and emotionally through all stages of breastfeeding and mixed feeding, from preparation before birth to 6 months.
Trained workers provide tailored, one-to-one support through visits at home, over the phone or via video calls. Support is available in a number of languages including Urdu, Punjabi, Gujarati and Hindi.
What difference does the Breastfeeding Support Project make?
The Breastfeeding Support Project brings a wealth of benefits to families by:
- Instilling confidence in women who may be feeling apprehensive or unsure about breastfeeding
- Tailoring support to an individual family’s needs
- Providing support at home at a time convenient to the family
- Becoming someone to talk to – a trusted source of both practical and emotional support
- Removing barriers that might stop women from breastfeeding such as negative past experiences
- Working with families in the antenatal period helps manage families’ expectations of breastfeeding in the early days and ensures that breastfeeding is given the best possible start
Overall, the aim is to bring the unique benefits that breastfeeding has to both mother and child to more families in the Better Start Bradford area.
Who can contact the Breastfeeding Support Project for support?
Expectant families and families with babies aged up to 6 months old living in the Better Start Bradford area.
I didn’t know a service like this existed and I can’t believe you were able to see me so quickly – and on a Saturday. I was very anxious and worried and feel much more reassured. I know I can contact you again when I next need help.
More information about the Breastfeeding Support Project
You may also like to look at...
Find out how to refer families who are breastfeeding or mixed feeding for practical and emotional support, delivered for us by Health for All.
Find out how to refer families to a free course to help them cook healthy family food on a budget, delivered for us by HENRY.