Volunteer as a Community Board Member
The voice of families in the Better Start Bradford area
Our Community Board Members play a crucial role in supporting and shaping the work of the Better Start Bradford programme.
As a Community Board Member you will:
- Champion the views of expectant families and families with children aged 0-3 in the Better Start Bradford area
- Promote and represent Better Start Bradford locally and share our key messages
- Attend and contribute to meetings that ensure the effective governance of the Better Start Bradford programme. This includes the monthly Partnership Board meetings, monthly Partnership Board preparation meetings and other sub-committee meetings
- Be part of the high-level decision making and monitoring of the Better Start Bradford programme, to ensure its successful delivery. This involves discussing and making decisions on a range of programme documentation such as the delivery plan, the risk and issues register and the budget as well as any proposed changes to the programme. It does not involve day-to-day decisions made by the programme team.
We are looking for people who:
- Live or work in the Better Start Bradford area and have parenting experience (parent, grandparent, carer) or knowledge of early years services
- Are passionate about making a difference and improving people’s lives, working with people from a range of backgrounds
- Have experience of using services for babies and young children, such as midwifery, social care, nurseries or family hubs
- Have been involved in any local groups or committees at a decision-making level, such as a community group, nursery or resident’s association
- Are able to speak with confidence in a large group of people and can encourage others to do the same
- Are able to see others’ points of view and can debate an issue calmly and assertively without judging others
Why volunteer as a Community Board Member?
- Receive regular support from the Better Start Bradford team
- Have access to a range of opportunities to enhance your skills
- Make a difference to the lives of expectant families and young children in your local area
- Receive a small financial contribution to acknowledge your commitment
Joining the Partnership Board was a turnaround for me. I realised I did have a voice and, as my confidence grew, I felt that I could challenge anything that I felt my community would also challenge or not understand.