What is I CAN Early Talk?
Early Talk is I CAN’s training and accreditation programme for the early years workforce, in partnership with parents, to support the communication needs of children.
The project works with childcare and education providers, such as nurseries, childminders and schools, who are registered to deliver early education for two-year-olds in the Better Start Bradford area, and delivers:
- Early Talk 0-5 Working with Under 3s
- Early Talk 0-5 Working with Parents to Early Years Practitioners
It also supports settings to achieve the I CAN Early Talk Accreditation at Supportive Level. It is delivered by licensed I CAN tutors with experience of delivering training and supporting speech and language development in settings.
What difference does I CAN make?
The training and accreditation:
- Increases practitioners’ confidence and knowledge in strategies to support children’s speech, language and communication
- Increases practitioners’ awareness of the importance of supporting children’s speech and language development.
- Enables settings to demonstrate that they meet best-practice in supporting children’s speech and language development needs
Who can sign up to I CAN?
Practitioners within early years settings in the Better Start Bradford area who are registered to deliver early education for funded two-year olds (including childminders and schools). If settings agree to participate, all staff are expected to attend training.
All aspects were really useful and will be included into my own practice. It highlighted the importance of specific observations and the tracking of children's speech.
It gave reassurance to follow your gut instinct and not wait to long before referring children earlier rather than later.
Very impressed with the quality and amount of resources we have to use for the interventions. The big manual is great, planning is all there for you, saves me a job as a teacher. Amanda was very helpful and I appreciate her completing the training on Zoom for us.
More information about I CAN
You may also like to look at...
Find out how families can sign up for free books for their children, every month from birth to their fifth birthday. Delivered for us by BHT Early Education and Training.