While the vast majority of face-to-face support is still on hold right now, we are still supporting families in the Better Start Bradford area over the phone / video calls and through virtual events. Below you can find contact details for all our projects along with brief details about what they are offering families in the Better Start Bradford area at this time, and we will keep you updated as and when any face-to-face delivery resumes.
- Visit our calendar of events and activities
- Follow us on Facebook to stay up to date on family activities, ideas and events
- Follow us on Twitter for workforce news and opportunities
If you have any questions or we can be of any help, please contact us on: 01274 723146 / [email protected]
Stay safe everyone.
The Better Start Bradford Team
Better Start Bradford Projects:
Contact Details and Current Support Being Provided
Contact: 07734 496669 / [email protected]
– The Baby Steps programme is being delivered to families virtually and the team continues to take new referrals – you can download the referral form here (Word).
– Visit their Facebook page here
Contact: 07522 236692 / [email protected]
– Please visit their Facebook page for lots of great activity ideas for families with young children, plus information about the wonderful transformations they’ve made to local greenspaces: Better Place Bradford Facebook Page
Better Start Imagine
Contact: 01274 730415 / [email protected]
– If you have a child under four and live in the Better Start Bradford area you can still sign up to receive a free book every month until your child’s fifth birthday. Sign up here.
– Visit the Better Start Imagine Facebook group for news of events including Baby Club and story and rhyme times.
Contact: 01274 223232 / [email protected]
– Trained volunteer doulas are still here to offer practical and emotional support to pregnant women and families. They can carry out (risk assessed) socially-distanced visits and accompany women during their labour as well as provide support via phone and video calls. Download this leaflet to find out more.
– New referrals are still being accepted – preferably for women at 28 weeks’ pregnant – so please call the team on 01274 223232 to arrange.
– Practical and emotional support for families who are breastfeeding/mixing bottle and breastfeeding is currently being provided over the phone and via video calls. The team is continuing to take new referrals from health professionals and families via the contact details above.
Cooking for a Better Start
Contact: 07709 640454 / [email protected]
– Cooking for a Better Start is now being offered online. Find out more by downloading this leaflet.
– For simple healthy recipes, please visit: https://www.henry.org.uk/homepage/resources/healthy-recipes
ESOL for Pregnancy
Contact: [email protected]
– The team continues to take referrals via this online referral form or by e-mail to [email protected] and are delivering sessions remotely, primarily via Zoom.
Forest School Play Project
Contact: 01535 668588 / [email protected]
– Contact the team if you or a family you’re working with would benefit from some outdoor family play sessions.
– Get Out More (who run the Forest School Play Project) has compiled over 100 nature-based activities for families with children: visit Facebook and Twitter or the Get Out More website.
Contact: 01274 513300 / [email protected] or find course dates on our events calendar
– Pregnant women in the Better Start Bradford area can now sign up for the new, online HAPPY antenatal programme. HAPPY antenatal is a free and friendly 6-week programme for women of all ages living in the Better Start Bradford area. The sessions are a relaxed way for parents to think about their transition to parenthood and challenges for every parent around healthy lifestyles.
– To sign up/ refer someone (or if you have any questions) please contact Sonam Bhalla via the details above, or contact one of the Perinatal Co-ordinators: Miryam 07976 352452 / Salma 07852 418690.
– Download the HAPPY information leaflet for families
– Download the HAPPY information leaflet for professionals
Contact: 07709 640454 / [email protected]
– The team is offering a number of virtual groups and workshops – visit the HENRY website for more information
– The team is also accepting referrals for 1-to-1 support, which will also be delivered over the phone/video call. Please note, there is a waiting list for this.
– Follow the HENRY Bradford team on Facebook for tips on healthy eating and exercise, and lots more: HENRY Bradford Facebook Page.
Home-Start Better Start
Contact: 01274 666711 / [email protected]
– Families already receiving support will be supported via weekly telephone calls.
– The team is still taking referrals but for telephone support only, offering emotional support and signposting. You can fill in a referral form here on their website.
– They continue to recruit new volunteers and have volunteer preparation courses in the pipeline – visit our calendar to find current dates
ICAN Early Talk
Contact: 01274 470142 or 730415 / [email protected]
– The team continues to offer remote support to early years settings already involved in the project prior to the Coronavirus outbreak.
Contact: 01274 513300 / [email protected]
– The team is running its parenting course online. Please visit our events calendar for dates, or contact them via the details above.
– They welcome new referrals either directly from families or from professionals.
Little Minds Matter
Contact: 01274 251298 / [email protected]
– The team is continuing to support existing clients over the phone and is accepting new referrals via healthcare professionals as usual.
– The team is also available to professionals for reflective discussions and consultation. Please contact them using the details above.
Perinatal Support Service
Contact: For urgent queries ring: 01274 505034 / For non-urgent queries e-mail: [email protected]
– The Perinatal Support Service co-ordinators and volunteers are supporting families over the phone or via video calls, and they welcome any new referrals via the contact details above.
– They continue to accept applications from potential volunteers.
– Visit their Facebook page here.
Personalised Midwifery Care (Clover Team)
Contact: 01274 365714
– For updates and guidance on maternity care in Bradford please follow the Bradford Antenatal Birth and Beyond Facebook page.
– You can also visit this page for more information about the Women’s and Newborn Unit at Bradford Royal Infirmary: https://www.bradfordhospitals.nhs.uk/womens-and-newborn-unit/
Welcome to the World
Contact: 01274 437523 / [email protected]
– All Welcome to the World antenatal courses have been cancelled until further notice.
– If you’re pregnant you may be able to take part in the HAPPY Virtual Antenatal Programme (see details above)
Links to Useful Early Years Resources
- For useful guides from Bradford Council to help you and your family remain healthy and safe whilst you are socially distancing yourselves, please visit: https://www.bradford.gov.uk/health/improve-your-childs-health/public-health-early-years-guidance-for-families/
- Visit our activities page for some great ideas of things to do with your babies and toddlers at this time: https://www.betterstartbradford.org.uk/activities/
- Visit the Lullaby Trust website for lots of great advice on caring for your baby during the COVID-19 outbreak: https://www.lullabytrust.org.uk/safer-sleep-advice/coronavirus-and-caring-for-your-baby/
- Watch the Big Little Moments videos to learn how babies and toddlers grow and learn every day, and how your small daily interactions give children the skills they need to develop into healthy, bright adults: www.betterstartbradford.org.uk/biglittlemoments
Links to Key NHS and Government Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- For the latest Government guidance on Coronavirus (COVID-19) please visit: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
- For the latest NHS guidance on Coronavirus (COVID-19) please visit: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
- For updates and guidance on Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the Bradford district, please visit: https://www.bradford.gov.uk/health/health-advice-and-support/coronavirus-covid-19-advice/
- For guidance about Coronavirus (COVID-19) for health professionals and other organisations from Public Health England, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/coronavirus-covid-19-list-of-guidance
- For guides on social distancing, including easy read and translated versions, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people
Page last updated on 31 March 2021