Expression of Interest:
To conduct an independent review of the Better Start Bradford programme
We are looking for expressions of interest from experienced individuals or organisations who can provide consultancy support to our Programme Director in conducting an independent review of our programme. We want to look at progress during the first four years and how we are preparing for the future with a focus on sustainability and legacy.
About Better Start Bradford
Better Start Bradford is part of the ten-year (2015-2025), £215 million National Lottery funded A Better Start programme set-up by The National Lottery Community Fund, the largest funder of community activity in the UK. Five A Better Start partnerships based in Blackpool, Bradford, Lambeth, Nottingham and Southend are supporting families to give their babies and very young children the best possible start in life. Working with local parents, the A Better Start partnerships are developing and testing ways to improve their children’s diet and nutrition, social and emotional development, and speech, language and communication. The work of the programme is grounded in scientific evidence and research. A Better Start is one of five major programmes set up by The National Lottery Community Fund to test and learn from new approaches to designing services which aim to make people’s lives healthier and happier.
Our aim is also to improve knowledge about what works in early intervention and prevention working with Born in Bradford as our evaluation partner and to influence future services and investment to prioritise preventative approaches in the early years.
Skills and experience required
Interested parties should have skills and experience in interviewing and surveying, in reviewing our progress against objectives, effectiveness of processes, structures and capabilities, particularly in driving and responding to change. They will look at functions and relationships; how we manage our projects; procurement and contract management; evaluation and dissemination; accountability and leadership. They should be knowledgeable about complex long- term funded programmes and about parent and community involvement.
Scope of the review
The focus would be on the key areas the Board has suggested, including:
- What we set out to do in 2015 and progress against objectives to date
- Relationships with local communities and local organisations
- Relationships with statutory partners and stakeholders
- Our leadership and collaborations
- Scrutiny of the efficiency of the running of the organisation
- Parents voices – via engagement and projects, and with a particular focus on our engagement strategy and function
- What’s changed for babies and children
- How we respond to changes, challenges and issues
- How we communicate our objectives and our work
- What our ambition is for the next 5 years
Existing research and evaluation
There are several pieces of research and evaluation currently being undertaken or planned. It would be helpful where possible for the review to draw on some of the findings of these other surveys if they match the timeline. These include:
- An ethnographic study is in its very early stages
- A baseline wellbeing survey is being conducted by the Innovation Hub
- The Workforce Survey will be redone
- A programme review with the external evaluators will be undertaken we are suggesting a relatively “light-touch” approach to the review
Better Start Bradford will offer access to all existing information (desk investigation) and hot desk space in our office to allow access to our shared drive information.
The contractor will organise the setting up of interviews and surveys, focus groups and background research. Our staff will support this.
The final report will highlight achievements and successes and identify areas for improvement or change. It will make recommendations for actions and a timeline to achieve any changes.
The draft report will need to be submitted for comment before finalising.
The work should take approximately 30 days x £300 – £350 plus expenses – circa. (£11,000 total)
How to express your interest
For further information, please contact Gill Thornton, Head of Programme at Better Start Bradford:
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 01274 513226.
- Expressions of interest to be submitted by 10.00am on Monday 25 November 2019
- Reviewer to be appointed by the end of November 2019
- Contract start Monday 9 December 2019
- Review to be completed by March 2020 Partnership Board meeting where the draft will be discussed
- Final report by April 2020 Partnership Board meeting