While the vast majority of face-to-face support is on hold for the time being due to Coronavirus (COVID-19), we are continuing to provide support remotely wherever possible.
Below you can find contact details for all our projects, along with brief details about what they are offering families in the Better Start Bradford area at this time. We’re in regular contact with our project partners and closely monitoring the situation on an ongoing basis, and will keep this page updated with all further developments.
If you have any questions or we can be of any help at this time, please contact us on: 01274 723146 / [email protected]
Please stay safe everyone.
The Better Start Bradford Team
Better Start Bradford Projects:
Contact Details and Current Support Being Provided
07738 888173 / [email protected]
– The Baby Steps programme is being delivered to families virtually and the team continues to take new referrals – you can download the referral form here (Word).
Better Start Imagine
01274 730415 / [email protected]
– If you have a child under four and live in the Better Start Bradford area you can still sign up to receive a free book every month until your child’s fifth birthday. Sign up here.
– Visit the BHT Facebook page for tips on reading with your child and much more.
01274 223232 / [email protected] (inbox checked weekly)
– While all face-to-face delivery, including birth support, is suspended for the time being, expectant mothers are receiving support from the Doulas team via phone and video calls.
– They are delighted to accept new referrals so please call the team on 01274 223232 to arrange.
Monday to Friday 8.00am-5.00pm: 01274 287968
Monday to Friday 5.00-8.00pm and Saturday 9.00am-5.00pm: 07903 174429
You can also e-mail: [email protected]
– Practical and emotional support for families who are breastfeeding/mixing bottle and breastfeeding is currently being provided over the phone. The team is continuing to take new referrals from health professionals and families via the contact details above.
Cooking for a Better Start
07709 640454 / [email protected]
– Eat Well for Less Workshops are being delivered 1-1 via phone or video call.
– For simple healthy recipes, please visit: https://www.henry.org.uk/homepage/resources/healthy-recipes
Forest School Play Project
07974 935105 / [email protected]
– Get Out More (who run the Forest School Play Project) has compiled over 100 nature-based activities for families with children: visit Facebook and Twitter or the Get Out More website.
07740 537810 / [email protected]
– Pregnant women in the Better Start Bradford area can now sign up for the new, online HAPPY antenatal programme. HAPPY antenatal is a free and friendly 6-week programme for women of all ages living in the Better Start Bradford area. The sessions are a relaxed way for parents to think about their transition to parenthood and challenges for every parent around healthy lifestyles.
– To sign up/ refer someone (or if you have any questions) please contact Sonam Bhalla via the details above, or contact one of the Perinatal Co-ordinators: Miryam 07976 352452 / Salma 07852 418690.
– Download the HAPPY information leaflet for families
– Download the HAPPY information leaflet for professionals
07709 640454 / [email protected]
– The team is offering virtual starting solids workshops with up to 6 parents. This gives people a chance to meet other local families, share ideas and gain top tips around introducing solid foods to their babies. To book, please contact email [email protected] or text/call 07709 640454.
– The team is also accepting referrals for 1-to-1 support, which will also be delivered over the phone/video call. Please note, there is a waiting list for this.
– Here is HENRY’s summer offer through COVID-19. Follow the HENRY Bradford team on Facebook for tips on healthy eating and exercise, and lots more: HENRY Bradford Facebook Page.
Home-Start Better Start
01274 666711 / [email protected]
– Families already receiving support will be supported via weekly telephone calls.
– The team is still taking referrals but for telephone support only, offering emotional support and signposting. You can fill in a referral form here on their website.
01274 513300 / [email protected]
– The team is continuing to support families already signed up – as well as those on their waiting list – via mini Incredible Years sessions over the phone.
– They welcome new referrals either directly from families or from professionals.
Little Minds Matter
01274 251298 / [email protected]
– The team is continuing to support existing clients over the phone and is accepting new referrals via healthcare professionals as usual.
– The team is also available to professionals for reflective discussions and consultation. Please contact them using the details above.
Perinatal Support Service
For urgent queries ring: 01274 505034 / For non-urgent queries e-mail: [email protected]
– The Perinatal Support Service co-ordinators and volunteers are supporting families over the phone or via video calls, and they welcome any new referrals via the contact details above.
– They continue to accept applications from potential volunteers.
Personalised Midwifery Care (Clover Team)
– For updates and guidance on maternity care in Bradford please follow the Bradford Antenatal Birth and Beyond Facebook page.
– Contact your Clover midwife to confirm arrangements if you haven’t heard from them.
01274 470142 or 730415 / [email protected]
– The team are keeping in phone contact with families already involved before the Coronavirus outbreak. They are contacting the parents of children who turn two during this period and are offering the assessment virtually as well as sending out packs with ideas for supporting their child’s language development at home.
Welcome to the World
01274 437523 / [email protected]
– All Welcome to the World antenatal courses have been cancelled until further notice.
– If you’re pregnant you can take part in our new Virtual Antenatal Classes or the HAPPY Virtual Antenatal Programme (see above)
Virtual Antenatal Classes
Our new Virtual Antenatal Classes run on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2.00pm via Zoom and explore a range of topics, from birthing plans right through to feeding and sleep. Find out more here.
Links to Useful Early Years Resources for Families
- For useful guides from Bradford Council to help you and your family remain healthy and safe whilst you are socially distancing yourselves, please visit: https://www.bradford.gov.uk/health/improve-your-childs-health/public-health-early-years-guidance-for-families/
- Visit our activities page for some great ideas of things to do with your babies and toddlers at this time: https://www.betterstartbradford.org.uk/activities/
- For daily ideas of safe outdoor and nature activities for families with young children, please follow the Better Place and Get Out More Facebook pages: Better Place Facebook Page and Get Out More Facebook Page
- Visit the Lullaby Trust website for lots of great advice on caring for your baby during the COVID-19 outbreak: https://www.lullabytrust.org.uk/safer-sleep-advice/coronavirus-and-caring-for-your-baby/
- Watch the Big Little Moments videos to learn how babies and toddlers grow and learn every day, and how your small daily interactions give children the skills they need to develop into healthy, bright adults: www.betterstartbradford.org.uk/biglittlemoments
- Download information on family and community support in the Better Start Bradford area (Bowling and Barkerend, Bradford Moor and Little Horton) – Family and Community Support in the Better Start Bradford Area (PDF)
Links to Key NHS and Government Information on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- For the latest Government guidance on Coronavirus (COVID-19) please visit: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
- For the latest NHS guidance on Coronavirus (COVID-19) please visit: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/
- For updates and guidance on Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the Bradford district, please visit: https://www.bradford.gov.uk/health/health-advice-and-support/coronavirus-covid-19-advice/
- For guidance about Coronavirus (COVID-19) for health professionals and other organisations from Public Health England, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/coronavirus-covid-19-list-of-guidance
- For guides on social distancing, including easy read and translated versions, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-on-social-distancing-and-for-vulnerable-people
Page last updated on 21 July 2020